Wednesday, May 21, 2008

my post-college decent into stupidity

i'm pretty sure i'm getting more and more stupid each day.  it's as though my four years of college education (preceded by 13 years of formal education via public school) were the peak of my intellectual stimulation and since graduation i've begun a rapid decent into stupidity.  

for example: while in college, i regularly found myself reading 4-5 books at a time (mostly a mixture of some densely written philosophy text, a bit of applied philosophy- usually ethics, some refreshingly light novel about reconciliation, a standard anthropology text and almost always something to aid in one's spiritual formation).  lately, however, i find even just one book difficult to get through and have resorted to reading a chapter here from mindlessly shallow book number one and then skipping to a chapter from similarly mindless and shallow book number two.  

example two:  while in college, i sought out ways to engage my intellect outside of class, engaging mindfully in culture through critiques of music and movies.  i enjoyed entertainment that made me think and that commented on our society at large and similarly enjoyed discussing these various movies and albums with friends over tea or the forbidden glass of wine.  these days, i can't seem to get enough of the mindless "chick-flicks"... i've even resorted to watching certain ones over and over again- each time hoping to find some redeeming value to thus justify my behavior- and each time failing miserably to do so.  on a similar note, i've become addicted to watching smutty tv-dramas online.  the beauty (and detriment) of online tv is that if you look hard enough, you can find just about every episode of every popular tv show and then watch an entire series from pilot to series finale in just over a month.  so far, i've completed multiple embarrassing shows and am on the hunt for my next mindless distraction.

example three:  while in college, i lived my life aware of how it affected others and how i as an individual was connected with the larger global community.  i co-lead a group of student-activists in pursuit to better educate our campus of world events and global issues,  and strove to be more mindful of the resources i used.  today, however, i catch myself letting the faucet run as i brush my teeth, or mindlessly unroll the toilet paper until half the roll is sitting in my lap read for use.  our neighborhood doesn't have a recycling program and so i've gotten lazy and now see just about everything as trash, and consider my 5 minutes of BBC headlines a day to be sufficient in staying up to date with world news.  

it's been nearly a year since graduation... 365 days of unraveling.  but as spring arrives and appropriately sparks feelings of hope, motivation and excitement, i am ready to shed my slothful-wintery state and begin anew.  my brain and body have had enough time to recover from the intensity of formalized academia and are ready to be exercised once again.  time to limit my intake of mind-numbing crap and reintegrate thoughtful, productive forms of entertainment.  

i may need some help getting started though.  do you have any book suggestions?  right now i'm big into memoir, but feel i need to branch out beyond this field and try my hand at some other forms of writing.  my friend mel always seems to have good suggestions- so in the off chance that no one responds.... :o)  (please respond, if you're out there).  

also, any good movies out there now?  i feel like i've been living under a rock for the last year and don't have any idea what's out and what's good... something about old men seems to ring a bell and maybe one called "there will be blood"... but i'm not sure what either of these are about.  i should probably shoot my former prof. postema an email and see what he has lined up for this year's film forum as he has impeccable taste regarding film.  

and on to music... help.  that's it.  that's all i need to say.

okay, i think i've adequately fulfilled my blogging quota for the day, now for sleep.

... one last minute comment relating to work, thank you to the man who efficiently went through my check out isle this afternoon with little to no delays.  it was kind of you to have the forethought to have your money ready and available for me to collect, and even more kind that you helped to bag your own groceries... sidenote:  for those of you that may shop at trader joe's and don't know the rules... you're supposed to bag your own groceries- i've seen 75 year old women successfully manage to put away multiple bags worth as i finish scanning everything leaving you with no excuse.  it's just plain rude to stand by and idly watch as i unload an entire grocery cart (or two!) onto the small check-out counter and then struggle to fit your newly purchased items into two double-paper bags- evenly balanced of course so you don't topple over on your way out to catch a cab.  just thought i'd let you know.

goodnight now and sweet dreams from my part of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(1) I miss you.

(2) I think I have joined you in the descent into stupidity. My favorite things to do right now are to watch many, many episodes of the Gilmore girls on DVD, watch the Office online, and read the same four mind-numbing books over, and over, and over. But even so, I did manage to do a little reading and film-watching and such this winter and will share my findings with you :)

Things to read: The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger--this will also be a movie soon, which may or may not be a good thing, and may or may not be another "chick-flick" to add to your list of movies to watch...the book is good though); A Girl Named Zippy (Haven Kimmel--this is a memoir, so...)
I thought I had more but I don't...I read Eat, Pray, Love but didn't like it much. I might be the only one. Check this blog for more reading ideas: luminousbooks.blogspot.com
It's run by a friend of mine and her husband, and I trust their judgment on literature. A lot.

As for films, I saw No Country for Old Men and it's good but violent. I did not go to the Film Forum, but wanted to...here's the list:
Pan's Labrynth
Sweet Land
Away from Her
Volver
The Lives of Others
Snow Cake

The theme was "Redemption" and I was very disappointed that I didn't get to go to any of the films.
OH! But I did see Sweet Land and yes, yes, yes, you should see that one if you haven't.

Music...well...I need help too. Let me know what you find out. I basically only listen to NPR now...

I will tell you if I find anything else you should read/see/listen to. I just finished my quarter and have a month off so I finally have time to read!
Sidenote: are you going to/do you want to come to PAPA Fest with Dabs and I?? Please??

~ali.

becca said...

read: his dark materials (the golden compass, the subtle knife, and the amber spyglass) by philip pullman. young adult fiction with deep meaning is an excellent way to ease back into things. i also read time-traveler's wife and cried a lot. i really liked the history of love by nicole krauss (it's fiction and wonderful) and, to satisfy my craving for the bizarre and to remind me that things don't have to make sense (and it's better that way): magic for beginners by...kelly link, i think.

and, ha, the last movie i watched was ghostbusters.