Saturday, June 14, 2008

this soul's craving

what is it about close friends that makes my soul leap forward with excitement and hope and life one minute of the day and then almost immediately after, pull all those emotions inward- barricading itself against loss and loneliness and pain?

this week has been a social roller coaster (if that term can ever be used in a respectable manner... all cheesiness aside).  i spent the first part of it here in chicago, learning what it means for me to actually be friends with my co-workers.  i did my best to say yes to each and every invitation to hang out when i wasn't at work, causing me to loose much sleep in the process, but ending with me staring around the room at Kae's during a random "after work" gathering and thinking -both to myself and out loud... (and we can thank the monsterously large wine glass for the out loud part)- thinking how these people are no longer just the hodgepodge of characters i spend hours with stocking shelves and teasing customers behind their backs... these people are my friends- honest to goodness friends that i look forward to hanging out with, friends i can see myself calling mid-day to talk about life outside of hawaiian shirts and three bells.  it only took 8 months but they finally cracked through my ruddy exterior and quiet demeanor. (nice job guys!)

sidenote: 8 months may seem like a rather long time for those of you that don't know me well, so let me give a brief explanation.  i'm quiet around people i don't know- awkward always- constantly in my head, questioning whether the sarcasm i just showed was picked up on or whether i'll be the topic of conversation in the breakroom for my lack of social skills .  i also function almost always at a different level than the norm.  that's not to come across as elitest or stuck up... but the truth is, i'm always thinking and always self-aware, therefore, in order for me to feel an actual connection with someone, they need to show that they think too and that sometimes they think about what makes them who they are.  (in philosophic terms, we refer to this as the Self).  because i'm like this, i could very easily have regular conversation with a person for years on end without actually considering them a friend- to me, friendship needs to happen at that deeper, soul-level, where Self meets Self.

all that to say that last week (with the assistance of our monthly wine tasting at work) i finally felt comfortable with my co-worker friends.  i felt free to be myself and confident that they would like it.  they did.  my Self was exposed.

immediately following the whirlwind week of socializing with new friends, i took a trip up to minneapolis to visit with some of the people i consider most like home.  the interconnectedness i felt with these people as we hugged or laughed, talked or danced was unreal.  my heart leapt in excitement- life pumping through my veins.  i was and still am completely myself with these beautiful friends- i'm myself and i'm loved deeply.

but so much socializing has made me question... how can i open myself up to many different people at once?  how can i willingly befriend this group of co-workers when i already see my time here drawing to a close?  i've been successful thus far in keeping my distance- being friendly enough without actually letting people in.  life has taught me that as soon as people are let in something happens- jobs happen, atlantic oceans happen, boyfriends happen- and they're almost immediately removed, leaving me in a vulnerable and lonely state.  i can understand logically why this happens: at this age in life, we have no permanent ties to anything and therefore feel free to attach ourselves to jobs or internships which will take us across the world- we prefer one city to another- we follow family or a boy or girlfriend who is most likely attached to his or her job or internship.  it makes sense when you think about how the world works... but it doesn't make sense in terms of our souls' state.  we should be clinging to these people that make us feel normal and beloved.  we should spend time cultivating relationships not just with whoever is thrown in your path but also with the people you spent the last few years learning how to pee in front of.  

and so, returning to chicago has proved to be a rather sober event.  not just because i miss my minnesota friends and wish for more time with them.  it's been sober because it's caused me to question my attachment to these new friends here... how can i leave this life that's taken me so long to finally begin?  what are the chances i'll ever even see these people after i quit and move in a few weeks?  what's the point in continuing to let them in if i know in a short while they'll remain as small holes in my heart?

i joke about starting a commune with all my closest friends so that we can live together, support each other, help each other with large life events that come our way... i joke about it because deep down i feel it's the only place i'll finally be able to breathe free- put down roots- embrace the terror of commitment.  in my mind, communes can be seen as secluding themselves from the larger society (which isn't all that bad sometimes), or they can be seen as embracing community-togetherness-tough and unconditional love.  my soul craves the latter.  my soul longs to be able to love without hesitation, to show itself fully and be known by others.  i crave all the life that friendship brings without any of the pain.  maybe that's unrealistic- especially in this quarter-life phase, but i crave it nonetheless.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Lizzie,

You are drinking deeply from the draught C. S. Lewis called "the old bittersweet"--the simultaneous acknowledgment of both the depth and the transitory nature of our most intimate relationships. And you so young, so early in the trajectory, with so many relationships yet to come--and be lost!

My heart is overwhelmed for you (for all of us)-- words elude me. How is it that we guard our hearts for fear of being hurt, and when we do open ourselves up, as we must to avoid the desperate, dry, cold, windy loneliness of self only (probably the right definition of hell--like the universe, constantly expanding away from everything else), it is only for a moment of our lives as we inevitably are separated from these people, our intimate friends, by distance, time, personality changes--or death?

One of my hopes for heaven is the end of separations--no more distance, time nor death. Our investments in each other neither corrupt, rust nor fade away, and we can safely share the intimacies of our hearts without fear of loss. Our task until then is to practice the intimacy in the face of impending loss, and count it all temporary and a gain.

Thus Christians never need say "goodbye"--always "see you later."

Love you lots, lady. Let us get together soon, eh?

In Him,
Vince

Mike O'Hare said...

True friendship has its price. Pain is part and parcel of the process as the polarities are thrust upon you, providing a contrast which has been gifted to you. You must then decide the price and value of that friendship through the gammut of polarities that you have experienced. Only then can you attest to what friendship really is.

You also mentioned the Interconnectedness between friends. This is what brought me to you. Not through friends, but through Google as my blogs page has a module that Google works on. The key word was Interconnectedness and hence I am here, trying to empathise with your thoughts.

If you would like to see how I have tried to bring awareness into the world regarding Interconnectedness then please have a look in at The Meadow home page and learn of a novel that is about to reach the hearts and minds of readers around the globe.

I'll say no more as the Home Page above will tell you all you need to know. Treasure your friends because they will remain with you for longer than you can have ever imagined.

Mike O'Hare